The Film Latin From Manhattan is based on the real life story of the world’s first Latina adult film star Vanessa Del Rio. The film follows the wild, exhilarating life of legendary adult film star Vanessa Del Rio, set against the backdrop of organized crime-controlled times square in during the 70’s and 80’s.
The rated R film is directed by Thomas Migone, it debuted at the Cannes Film Festival a few months ago.
STARRING: Dita Von Teese (Queen of Burlesque), Jesse Metcalfe (John Tucker Must Die, Desparate Housewives), Esai Morales (How to Get Away With Murder), Tarryn Manning (Orange Is The New Black), Shane West (Gotham, A Walk To Remember), Drea de Matteo
The Latin From Manhattan looks at the experiences of sex-workers back in early 80’s in New York
The Latin in Manhattan has similarities to mainstream movies like Boogie Nights or American Hustle, but in a far darker way.
The Latin from Manhattan focuses on the rise of adult film icon and the world’s first Latina adult star Vanessa Del Rio, played by Vivian Lamolli.
The film takes place within the backdrop of NY’s Times Square in the 80’s, as organized crime made inroads into the porn industry.
Del Rio is a lively character who becomes a beloved adult star and burlesque performer, but her world is potentially dangerous; there in an interesting twist in which an investigating cop (Jesse Metcalfe) is revealed to be in a gay relationship with an AIDS patient, further showing more complications in that world.
Her mother would take her to see the Spanish language movies of Isabel Sarli, a voluptuous Argentinian actress / vedette who had a charismatic power over men whom Vanessa credits as a big influence in her life.
She describes her mother as “an innocent, deeply religious woman who didn’t really relate to Sarli’s sexuality,” while her young daughter focused on Sarli’s power over men, and wanted that power for herself.
After an early childhood as religious as her mother’s, Sanchez took her boredom and dropped out of school in the 8th grade, tired of the sheltered life imposed on her at home. She studied coding, and became a computer programmer at age 18, then made a U-turn and abandoned the straight and bored life altogether to live in a series of stolen Volkswagen Beetles with a criminal boyfriend.
When that adventure ended two years later she became “a waitress, then a topless barmaid, and finally a go-go dancer” before accepting her first hardcore porn role in the film China Doll because “it paid $150, which was exactly my half of the rent,” so she could join a boyfriend in Europe.
In her biography from TASCHEN Publications (Vanessa del Rio: Fifty Years of Slightly Slutty Behavior, 2007) revealed that she also worked as a streetwalker and call girl prior to entering adult films.
Other Fun Facts:
- Multitalented Artist: Besides her career in adult films, Vanessa Del Rio is also a skilled painter and has exhibited her artwork in various galleries.
- Educational Background: Vanessa studied at New York City’s Music & Art High School, showcasing her early interest in the arts.
- Trailblazer in the Industry: She was one of the first Hispanic women to gain prominence in the adult film industry during the 1970s and 1980s.
- Ethnic Diversity: Vanessa Del Rio is of Cuban, Puerto Rican, and Yugoslavian descent, highlighting her rich cultural background.
- Limited Performances: Despite her popularity, Vanessa Del Rio has a relatively small filmography compared to some other adult film stars, with around 100 films to her name.
- Mainstream Crossovers: She made cameo appearances in mainstream films, such as “Doom Asylum” and “Dr. Giggles,” expanding her presence beyond adult entertainment.
- Entrepreneurial Ventures: Vanessa ventured into the business side of the adult industry by co-owning a production company called “Hot Vanessa Productions.”
- Documentary Feature: Her life and career were the subject of the 2016 documentary titled “Fifty Shades of Erotica,” providing a closer look at her impact on the adult film world.
- International Fame: Vanessa Del Rio gained recognition not only in the United States but also internationally, becoming a sought-after figure in the adult entertainment scene.
- Awards and Honors: She received several awards for her contributions, including an induction into the AVN Hall of Fame in 1997, acknowledging her impact on the adult entertainment industry.