With its pristine beaches and lively residents, it’s no coincidence the Dominican Republic is a popular vacation destination. Still, you may need a little push to make your final decision. Here are five reasons you shouldn’t hesitate to book a trip to the Dominican Republic:
1. The excitement begins as soon as you get off the plane. Humidity caresses your face while merengue, emanating from instrument players nearby, flirts with your eardrums.
2. The beach, the river, or any body of water is, for the most part, always a good idea. The Dominican Republic is known for its tropical climate and beautiful palm trees.
3. If you choose to visit a resort, Punta Cana is a popular choice. Puerto Plata is another excellent option for resorts. But if you want to get a sense of the Dominican lifestyle, the non touristy sides, some options include Santo Domingo (the capital), Santiago, Cotuí or any other part of the country. Beauty resides all throughout.
4. Blackouts occur more frequently than they do in the U.S. but not to worry. When the lights go off, los cuentos begin, amusing storytelling ensues. Dominicans have hilarious explanations for all kinds of things.
5. There’s something delicious to eat everywhere you turn. You can pick mangos and cherries off of trees, or walk to the pica pollo (fried chicken) spot nearby.
Subscribe to our newsletter for weekly lifestyle, culture, community updates & people profiles