Do you know that your brain cannot feel pain? It does not contain pain receptors or have a sensory system—so isn’t it a funny thing that we get headaches at all? And as you may have experienced, there are many different types of headaches. Here are a few types of common headaches and easy ways to relieve them. However, you should speak with your doctor if you experience chronic pain.
Migraine—A headache that may include vomiting, nausea, sensitivity to light and sound.
- Turn out the lights!
- Place your hands in cold water or place an ice pack on your head.
- Make sure you get a good night’s rest.
Sinus Headache—Inflammation in the air pockets above the nose causing decreased mucus drainage and increased pressure.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Use a humidifier or a saline nasal spray.
- Employ relaxation techniques and stretches for the head and neck.
Menstrual Headache—Fluctuations in hormone levels just before or after the cycle.
- Take feverfew, an herb with anti-inflammatory properties.
- Exercise but not too rigorously.
- Make ginger tea or add ginger to your food.