• 1 cup fresh or frozen dark sweet cherries
• 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
• 1/3 cup cherry preserves
• 1/3 cup ketchup
• 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
• 1 1/2 teaspoons minced canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
• 1 1/4 teaspoons dried thyme
• 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
• 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
1. Stir cherries, broth, preserves, ketchup, vinegar, chipotle peppers, thyme and allspice in a small deep bowl.
2. Transfer to a shallow non-reactive dish large enough to hold chicken. Add the chicken and turn to coat well. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
3. Preheat grill to high. Oil the grill rack.
4. Remove the chicken from the marinade. Transfer the marinade to a medium skillet. Reduce the grill heat to medium and grill the chicken until cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 7 to 9 minutes per side. Meanwhile, bring the marinade to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the sauce is reduced by about half, 12 to 15 minutes.
5. Let the chicken cool slightly; serve with the sauce.