● 1 pound large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and butterflied
● 1 pound lump crab meat
● 1/2 medium red onion, peeled, cut in half, sliced very thinly
● 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
● 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, chopped
● 2 jalapeños, finely chopped
● 2 cups cilantro leaves, chopped
● 1 cup lime juice
● 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
● 1 cup ketchup
● 3 teaspoons salt
● Tortilla chips
Blanch the shrimp
1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, prepare an ice bath by filling a bowl with ice and cold water.
2. Add the shrimp to the boiling water and allow to cook for 1 minute. Remove the shrimp from the pot with a slotted spoon and immediately plunge into the ice bath.
3. Allow the shrimp to cool thoroughly, then drain and place on paper towels to absorb some of the water. Transfer the shrimp to a bowl.
Prepare the crab
4. Drain the crab of any liquid and pick through it to remove any cartilage that was left behind. Lightly break up some of the large lumps of crab making sure not to completely shred it and leave some large chunks behind.
5. Mix with the shrimp.
Marinate the ingredients
6. Add the red onion, tomatoes, cucumber, jalapeños, and half the cilantro to the shellfish and mix until well incorporated.
7. In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, vinegar, ketchup, and salt and stir until well blended. Add the dressing to the shellfish and vegetables and gently toss until well combined.
8. Serve with tortilla chips.