Christine Flores, better known as Christina Milian, is an American singer, songwriter and actress. At the age of 19, Milian signed a contract with Def Jam. Although, Milian is a talented singer, her goals were originally set on becoming an actress. Here are a few other interesting facts about Milian you might be interested in knowing.
Christina Milian has been described as a mentor for young girls. There are a lot of people who young girls look up to, but “at the end of the day you have to be your own person and love yourself,“said Milian.
Milian worked with the Children Uniting Nations charity, in which she was a big sister to foster children, and says her favorite charity is the Penny Lane Foundation. Milian was awarded a humanitarian award at The Reign fundraiser from the Elton John AIDS Foundation for being a role model for young children.
“I’ve never been rewarded that way and never been acknowledged like that. That was really nice of them, and I was happy I was able to show up for the kids,” said Milian.
Unique Facts to Know About Christina
- Born Christine Flores on September 26, 1981 in Jersey City, New Jersey.
- Changed her name and adopted her mother’s maiden name (Milian) in the hopes of getting a broad range of acting roles.
- Oldest of the three children born to parents Don Flores and Carmen Milian.
- Already auditioning by the time she was nine with local talent agencies. She did commercials for Wendy’s, Honeycomb, and played the lead role in the musical Annie.
- Moved with her mother to Los Angeles after her mother recognized the talent and potential in her daughter. Her parents soon divorced after the move.
- Moved into the same apartment complex as songwriter and producer Rodney “Darkchild” Jerkins. Jerkins heard about Milian from a boy band he was working with and once he heard her sing, they began working together.
- She has written two books geared toward teenage girls finding happiness in healthy ways.
- Began songwriting at the age of 17 to help her create a demo for a recording contract.
- Made her first professional musical appearance on rapper Ja Rule’s second studio album Rule 3:36 (2000), performing vocals on the song “Between Me and You”
- Co-wrote and performed backing vocals for the track “Play” for Jennifer Lopez’s album J. Lo in 2001.
- First major acting role was offered by the Disney Channel to join The Mickey Mouse Club; however, she did not accept and opted to star as a reporter on Movie Surfers.
- Had minor roles in film and television, including Sister, Sister, The Steve Harvey Show, The Wood, and several others.
- Eloped on September 4, 2oo9 with R&B singer The-Dream in Las Vegas.
- Gave birth to a daughter, Violet, on February 26, 2010. Milian and The-Dream announced their separation on July 12, 2010.
- Debuted her reality show Christina Milian Turned Up in 2015.
- Dated Nick Cannon but ended their two year relationship after his allegedly cheating.